Thursday, March 12, 2015

Diva Challenge #208 ~ Cubine vs. Pokeroot

Interesting challenge this week from the Diva...we were to do a duotangle (term coined by the Diva meaning using two and two ONLY patterns in a piece) using Cubine and Pokeroot, both of which are official Zentangle tangle patterns. I have only dabbled with either one of them, just getting the mechanics of each down, but not really using them in anything, so this was very challenging. I actually played with this one more in my mind than on paper before I actually sat down and did anything. And...(I don't know if I should admit this or not), I actually looked at what others had done before I took a picture of mine, but in actuality mine was finished before I walked through all the blogs *grin*

Anyway, I had fun with this one and when I showed it to my son (as I always like to show him before I post it), he mentioned that it looked like something from "The Secret City". Now the Secret City was a fun show on TV that we watched when he was younger that taught kids to draw in cartoon fashion. Whereas I used to watch Walter Lanz and John Gnagy (I know, I am dating myself horribly if anyone even remembers these names), and they tried to teach realistic drawing, the Secret City was hosted by Mark Kissler and he has a playful, cartoony style that we both loved. As I looked at it, I could see where he would think that. But if you have ever seen Secret City, you might agree...I know I could see it.  Here it is...

Pokeroot Invasion
Media:  3.5" x 3.5" tile, Micron 01, pencil and tortillon
Tangles:  Cubine and Pokeroot
Margaret Bremner's Cubine tutorial was invaluable to me to come up with this as I could easily visualize it as an otherwordly piece, so make sure you notice the "stars" that you can see through the cubine windows. I hope all the little Pokeroots make themselves comfortable here... lol.

As always, thank you for looking at my effort and any feedback is always welcome.  Thank you for your comments, good, bad, or indifferent...they are ALL appreciated.  If you would like to see some more challenge pieces, check out the DIVA'S PAGE and if you are so inspired, come join the fun. We are a great group and love to see new ideas. See you soon!


4 comments:

  1. Nice tile, and I see the "secret city" in it too. Ha! I will date myself right there with you on the others!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the 3D effect in the 'windows'. I don't know about all these TV programs, because I don't live in US, so I have no idea about your age :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your work is lovely...I really like your windows onto space...they give a nice ambiance to your tile! This challenge has been fun to do and to see what others create as well.

    ReplyDelete