Sunday, August 23, 2015

Diva Challenge #231 ~ "Undulations"

This week has been a rather interesting week for us. The wildfires in the Western US have made the outside air almost intolerable to breathe. While there are no fires *yet* here in Utah that I have heard of, the fires in Idaho, Washington, and Oregon, as well as California all seem to be blowing their smoke our way and it has been getting stuck in the valley where we live. Even the cats don't seem to want to go outside in this stuff. But the National Weather Service keeps telling us that it should be getting better soon. At least lets hope so. So as a consequence of all this horrible air (I have asthma), I have actually been inside most of the week and getting some things done in the house and garage.....I even managed to throw away some boxes of stuff that I don't need! AND I found some more of my beautiful paper stash. I was a stamper and scrapbooker before I discovered Zentangle and have tons of beautiful paper and art supplies. I am just starting to get back in to experimenting with some of my stuff and hope to post some of my experiments soon.  So I took some of this paper and cut it into tiles of various sizes to tangle on because I love the colors.

After reading the challenge this week on the Diva's blogspot, I was ready! Our guest blogger this week, Sharla Hicks, challenged us to use an old favorite undulating C or S curve tangle and work in a series OR find a new one and begin a new series.  I love all of the undulating curve, but never really worked with them much knowingly. But I just really like to use curvy, organic tangles, so I just chose  to let my pen take me where it would. I have been sketching all week, but I have a couple of tiles that I want to post now. I have several more in various stages of being finished and will post those as I finish them.  So here they are and I hope you like them!
3.5" tile, Micron pen Sepia, Black, white chalk
Inktense pencils
This one is a bit bigger, since I wanted to try working a bit bigger because I really like working with these fluid, undulating tangles. I'm not sure if I like this very well, but it turned out ok.
4" tile, Micron pen black, white chalk, graphite
pencil for shading
I hope you can check out all of the wonderful challenge pieces that have been shown this week and if you want to try one yourself, you can find it all at The Diva's blog for inspiration and beautiful pieces.

Thanks for stopping by and I hope to get around to all of the blogs sometime in the next week or so. Have a beautiful day!



9 comments:

  1. I think both your undulating tangle tiles are gorgeous. I especially like the first one with its Renaissance colors except for the touch of green. (The fire situation in the West sounds really miserable. We watch them on the news horrified).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Suzanne. We have been pretty lucky thus far this season in Utah to not have as many wildfires, but here in the west, we are in such a drought that everyone has to really take care when camping and such.

      Delete
  2. Wow, Lezli, both are GORGEOUS!!! Like you, I LOVE paper and cutting tiles (choosing the best spots) is so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. O, it must be horrible for your lungs, breathing that air. I have emphysema so I think I can understand. Take care!!!!

      Delete
    2. Thank you Ann for your kind comments on my tangles and yes, we are watching the news every morning to check on the air condition. For the past three days, it has been unhealthy for everyone, not just for those with breathing problems. We are taking care, thank you :)

      Delete
  3. Beautiful tiles! I think my favourite is the first with the sepia (because I love sepia), but your second one is so elegant… Love them both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the kind comments Sue. I have never really used sepia before and when I found this paper, it was a definite fit, so I had to try it.

      Delete
  4. I agree with Sue S -- "elegant" is the word.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much. This is probably the first that I actually accomplished what I wanted with a challenge. Now if I could just continue doing things like this....oh well, practice, practice, practice for me!

      Delete