Thursday, September 4, 2014

Diva Challenge #183 (X-did) .... Almost didn't *giggle*

This week has been a bit hectic with out anniversary and all and my dad's birthday (and yet again, I ask myself why I wanted to get married on his birthday....oh yeah, it was so I wouldn't forget my anniversary!) But anyway, it's been 32 years for us now as man and wife with lots of ups and downs, but we have stayed the course *grin*  Hubby doesn't get my Zentangle hobby because he is an art purist who also loves classical music and paints miniature figures. But he strives for realism and doesn't get anything abstract. So when I ask him what he thinks about my ZIA, he just says "....interesting....". At least my son is of a more artistic and creative bent, so he gives me some wonderful criticism. Although I majored in graphic design in college, I never did anything with it, so needless to say I was thrilled when I stumbled on Zentangle in June of this year. I'm trying to keep up with the challenges and have been going through the old challenges to try some of them.

This particular tangle (X-did) gave me fits because I could see in my minds eye what I wanted to do with it and for some reason it wouldn't translate to my hands. I am a big fan of Art Deco and Art Nouveau, so that's more or less how I saw it.  Although I was very hesitant to put my first attempts on here, I saw that others were doing that, so (deep breath) here goes!

ZIA Tile #1 is done on some chocolate brown paper I had laying around and I decided to try it with the white pen. Not my favorite and I have absolutely no idea why i decided on putting the purple in *shrug*


ZIA Tile #2 is mostly along the same lines, but the pattern for the X-did got so small it is barely discernable


But with ZIA Tile #3, I think I got the look I was looking for. This is also the first time I have actually used a Zentangle Tile and I actually may have to break down and buy some to work on. The paper is fabulous and I'm afraid that I am a paper junkie.....have been all my life, I'm afraid *grin*


Well, that it for this challenge, but I want you to know that I worked on finally getting this pattern right in my sketchpad almost constantly since the challenge was posted.  Thank you all for your comments on my other submissions....it always helps to have feedback, good or bad, to help one improve.  Thanks again!





14 comments:

  1. All of your practice work on the X-did pattern did the trick. Your Tile #3 is excellent. Love the curved lines you used in the challenge pattern which is the perfect size, and your Mooka's are wonderful. Very nice shading, Great Job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by and for your kind words

      Delete
  2. These are all great. I like the second one but the last one has some really nice embellishments that makes it stand out amidst the three

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much. I just thought that that last one pulled it all together for me. Thank you *smile*

      Delete
  3. All three are very well done, I do understand why you like the last one best. Happy anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the anniversary wishes. And thank you for stopping by *smile*

      Delete
  4. All are very lovely! Especially I like the third one! Wonderful Mooka and a fine contrast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you...Mooka is rapidly becoming my most favorite tangle I think. It seems to suit me and my love of curvy and rounded forms.

      Delete
  5. Lezli, I'm glad you did!!! :0) You did a beautiful job on your tiles!! I agree, the last one is my fave, but I really like them all!! Thank you for not giving up and giving 'X-DID' a try! :0) Annette Share Humanity

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Annette! I'm glad I kept trying and your step outs were fabulous. My hand just seemed to want to draw that top and bottom first steps bass-ackwards, so it took me a bit to get it right.

      Delete
  6. I tried curving the tangle as well and finally gave up. Things just overlapped wrong. I like the golden glow on the last tile. And I really like the background image of your blog. I want to try this technique this winter. http://ptrish40-zekesden.blogspot.com/2014/07/paint-blob-or-ink-blown-strings-to-get.html It's such a nice combination of paint and ink.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Duchess! Somehow this last tangle called out for me to make it glow a bit, so I was pleased with the way it turned out. I love playing with paint and ink too, but I'm afraid I didn't make this one. I do however, plan on getting it together soon and making my own. But it HAS to be these colors because I absolutely adore pinks

      Delete
  7. Three lovely tangles. I'm a paper junky too, but I haven't been able to afford real tiles - I just use my sketchbook. I love the brown paper - and the purple! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kia. I am a long time scrapbooker and I haunt all the paper shops around here. The brown paper actually came from a sample pack that our local paper company had out. I used to go once a week and see what new samples they had so I could play with them. So that's what I mostly use. I have a huge stash of plain papers of all colors and just cut them into the shapes I need. The authentic tile came from my starter kit for Zentangle, so I only have 5 of them...lol

      Delete